The Carnoustie Golf Club has a long and proud history.
Formally constituted in 1842 – although our records show that our club existed for a number of years before this date.
Members of the early Carnoustie Golf Club met in various “Howffs” (inns or taverns) in the town with “Ferriers Inn” (now the 19th Hole) being the most popular gathering place for interested golfers.
These early gatherings probably led naturally to the formation of a golfing society or Club with the aim of supporting and encouraging the game and in running competitions.
In 1898 a decision was taken by Club members to build our current Clubhouse on Links Parade adjacent to the Championship Course.
Since that time the building has seen considerable development and alteration, to become the comfortable and well appointed Clubhouse it is today.
This makes us one of the ten oldest Golf Clubs in the world – and gives our club a unique position in world golfing history.
The first real golf course at Carnoustie was planned and laid out by Robert Chambers, a publisher from Edinburgh, in the early 1830s.
But it was Alan Robertson of St Andrews who, in 1850, designed the basics of the course we know today. Old Tom Morris redesigned and extended it to a full 18 holes in the early 1870s, and James Braid put his stamp on Carnoustie in 1926.
Though the members were essentially happy with Braid’s vision of Carnoustie, it was felt by many that, for all its redesigns and renovations, something was still lacking – the finish was “weak.” And so, just in time for the 1937 Open Championship, the final three holes at Carnoustie were redesigned by local architect, James Wright. Today, Wright is credited with having produced the “toughest finishing stretch in golf,” and Carnoustie has taken her rightful place among the venerable old ladies of Scottish golf.
Today golfers can also enjoy high quality golf on the Burnside and Buddon Links courses , both providing a high quality alternative to the Championship layout .
Distinguished Members of Carnoustie Golf Club
Members of Carnoustie Golf Club have played an active part worldwide in the development of golf, as shown in the following details:
Robert Harris: British Amateur Champion 1925. First Captain of Walker Cup team: played in 1922, 1923 and 1926.
David G. Greig: Scottish Boys Champion 1967; Scottish Amateur Champion 1975; Scottish Senior Internationalist 1972, 1973 and 1975; Represented Britain in Commonwealth Tournament 1975.
Lindsey Mann: Scottish Boys Open Stroke Play Champion 1977 and 1979; Scottish Youths Open Stroke Play Champion 1982; Scottish Senior Internationalist 1982 and 1983; Walker Cup player 1983.
Lee Vannet: Scottish Boys Open Stroke Play Champion 1983; British Boys Champion 1984; Scottish Internationalist at Boys, Youths and Senior level 1984.
Eric Ramsay: Australian Amateur Champion 2005.
Keir McNicoll: St Andrews Links Trophy 2008.
Matthew Southgate: St Andrews Links Trophy 2010.
Angus Cappi: Scottish Youths Champion 2009.
Robert Cunningham: First President of the Forfar County Golf Association instituted in the Carnoustie Golf Club in 1908. He was then Captain of the Club.
George Carnegie: Active on the formation of the Scottish golf Union in 1921 when he represented the Club on the Forfar County Golf Association.
United States of America:
Over 200 members left Carnoustie for America and contributed to the development of the club.
George Low: Professional at Baltusrol. Active in formation of the Eastern P.G.A. and was its first President.
G. L. Fotheringham, James Hepburn and James Maiden: All played an active role in the formation of the U.S.P.G.A. in 1916. Hepburn chaired the organising committee for the first U.S.P.G.A. Championship. Fotheringham chaired the first Annual Meeting of the U.S.P.G.A. in 1916, and Maiden and himself were elected the first two Vice-Presidents.
Fred Brand: Founded Tri-State P.G.A. and was the first and only President for 25 years. Vice-President of U.S.P.G.A. 1922-27 and again in 1935. Member of U.S.P.G.A. Rules Committee 1921-25. Official Starter at 10 Championships of the U.S.P.G.A.
Willie Ogg: President of Senior P.G.A. 1946-47.
George Norris: President of Senior P.G.A. 1947-49.
Clarence Hackney: Played in first U.S. professional team versus Britain at Gleneagles in 1921.
Willie Smith: U.S. Open Champion in 1899.
Alex. Smith: U.S. Open Champion in 1905 and 1910.
Macdonald Smith: Winner of 31 Gold Medals between 1910 and 1941.
Stewart Maiden: The golfer who was the main influence in the career of Bobby Jones.
The P.G.A. of Australia was formed in Carnegie Clark’s workshop at Royal Sydney Golf Club in 1911.
The first officials were: President – Dan Soutar; Treasurer – Carnegie Clark; Committee member Alan Maiden. Dan Soutar served as President 1911-19, 1926-28 and in 1933. Carnegie Clark served as President 1920-21.
Carnegie Clark: Australian Open Champion 1906, 1910 and 1911. Professional at Royal Sydney for 27 years.
Dan Soutar: Australian Amateur Champion 1903, Australian Open Champion in 1905 and Professional Champion in 1907.
The “annus mirabilis” for Carnoustie Golf Club was 1910, when Alex. Smith won the U.S. Open, Carnegie Clark won the Australian Open and G. L. Fotheringham won the South African Open.
Members of Carnoustie Golf Club have also played their part in the development of golf in Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, France, Germany, Guatemala, India, Mexico, New Zealand, Norway, South Africa, Sweden and Switzerland.